Chat with us, powered by LiveChatStudents — insure your stuff! | Rubber Ring

Type your search query.

Search byAlgolia

Students — insure your stuff!

By Ruth Sedar Published in Personal November 25, 20223 min read

Living in shared houses or halls at university is a rite of passage for many students in the UK. Moving in with your friends is all part of the experience and the chance to feel properly independent. And with rent being the biggest outgoing on any student’s monthly budget, it’s independence at a price.

And speaking of high prices, university life comes with quite a lot of valuable stuff. Portable tech like laptops, smartphones, tablets, headphones, even your bike…the list goes on. Whether you’re renting privately or living in university accommodation, your tech isn’t guaranteed to be safe at home or on campus. We found some shocking stats that revealed 7% of students have been burgled at university. But how can you protect your pocket against the cost of replacing your tech if it’s stolen?

Do I need contents insurance as a student?

We’d always recommend students to get contents insurance when living at university. Contents insurance really does what it says on the tin — it insures your personal contents, or belongings. Some students are covered on their parent’s home or contents insurance, but that’s not always the case and definitely not something you should take for granted. With valuable tech taking pride of place in student’s homes, contents insurance is certainly an investment worth thinking about. Because contents insurance can bring peace of mind and confidence that your tech is going to be covered whatever university life throws your way.

Did you know that on average in the UK, a laptop is stolen every 53 seconds? And it happens on university campuses too. The contents of your backpack could be worth as much as £2,750, if you’re carrying a mid-range MacBook, iPad, new iPhone and AirPods. With contents insurance that includes Out of Home cover, you can rest easy knowing your stuff is safe on campus.

Do student halls have contents insurance?

Some student halls will have contents insurance as part of the tenancy agreement, but that isn’t always the case. Landlords are responsible for general wear and tear on the building and its contents, but that doesn’t apply to your stuff. Even the tenancy agreement on shared houses and flats may not cover your belongings — although you’ll still be responsible for stuff that belongs to your landlord, and their fixtures and fittings, by the way. So make sure your less-than-careful friends stay away from the expensive furniture… unless you’re covered by Rubber Ring. That’s when our Tenants Liability comes into its own.

Tenants Liability covers everything that belongs to your landlord, and even covers things like the glass in doors and windows in the property. So if something that belongs to the landlord gets damaged, it won’t be down to you to foot the bill.

With Rubber Ring, you can be covered:

  • at home for your belongings up to £5,000,
  • at home for your landlord’s belongings for up to £5,000,
  • on campus with Out of Home cover for up to £3,000,
  • …and even your pedal bike is covered on campus for up to £500.

PS. We even cover you if you lose your keys to your university halls or shared rental house.

How much is students’ contents insurance?

Students can get contents insurance with Rubber Ring from as little as £3.75 per month. That’s less than the price of an average pint, or the price of a steak bake and a drink from a well-known bakery beginning with “G”. And when you compare the price for how much we can cover, it’s a bargain you can’t afford to miss.

Get a quote from Rubber Ring today

Find out more about our insurance policies and get a free quote today to see how much peace of mind costs. Spoiler: it’s super affordable.